last updated: 2023-04-14
There is huge knowledge available about SAP HANA High Availability and Disaster Recovery topic, but the knowledge is very fragmented (Help Portal, Blog post, SAP KBA, SAP Note, other). The aim of this article is simplify and make content consumption easier with a centralized page. There is no reason to duplicate the already well prepared content, so the goal is to collect the available knowledge and put it in a well structured format. The logic of the page follows the earlier published articles in the same series.
Table of Content
- Where to find documentations in SAP Help Portal?
- Which other official documentations are important regarding SAP HANA HA and DR?
- Which are the master SAP Knowledge Base Articles of the SAP HANA HA and DR?
- Concept of the SAP HANA High Availability and Disaster Recovery features
- Which measures needs to be understand?
- Which license is required for SAP HANA System Replication?
- What is the general way to check the status of SAP HANA System Replication?
- What are the available tools for monitoring the SAP HANA System Replication?
- Which SAP HANA Alert IDs belongs to the topic?
- Which other documentations are important regarding SAP HANA HA and DR?
- What information is necessary to get support?
- What are the known issues?
- Disaster Recovery and High Availability for different SAP platforms
- SAP HANA Academy
- What blog posts can be helpful?
- Other articles in this series
- Other articles in connected series
- Useful bookmark
To put the topic in context we need to understand general terms and meanings correctly.
- Availability: is an industry term for the time during the IT system is available, online and operational.
- Downtime: is an industry term for the time during the IT system is unavailable, offline or not operational. The downtime can be planned (e.g., maintenance events, such as OS or hardware upgrade, software patches, etc.) or unplanned (e.g., hardware failures, human errors, power outages, and cyberattacks, ending with bad design and/or configuration, disaster, etc.).
- High Availability (HA): a highly available system aims to be online as often as possible. While downtime can still occur, but the duration of the downtime had minimized as possible.
- Fault/Failure Tolerance: a fault tolerant system can operate through a fault without any downtime. The goal of fault tolerance is to eliminate downtime completely (as much as possible) within one data center.
- Fault/Failure Recovery (FR): is the process of recovery and resuming system operations of a failed system after an outage/fault in a way that either eliminates or minimizes the amount of incorrect system results.
- Disaster Tolerance: extended failover capabilities across datacenters (different geographical location).
- Disaster Recovery (DR): is an ability to restore access and functionality to IT infrastructure after a disaster event, whether natural or caused by human action (or error). In general in case of IT system it means if one site fails the other site can continue the operation (the sites are in different locations).
Where to find documentations in SAP Help Portal?
- SAP HANA System Replication – SAP HANA System Replication
- SAP HANA Administration Guide for SAP HANA Platform – High Availability for SAP HANA
- SAP HANA Administration Guide for SAP HANA Platform – SAP HANA Database Backup and Recovery
Which other official documentations are important regarding SAP HANA HA and DR?
- SAP HANA System Replication, (previous version – 2017), (previous version – 2013)
Which are the master SAP Knowledge Base Articles of the SAP HANA HA and DR?
- 2057595 – FAQ: SAP HANA High Availability
- 1999880 – FAQ: SAP HANA System Replication
- 1642148 – FAQ: SAP HANA Database Backup & Recovery
- 2165547 – FAQ: SAP HANA Database Backup & Recovery in an SAP HANA System Replication Landscape
Concept of the SAP HANA High Availability and Disaster Recovery features
The below image shows the current SAP HANA capabilities from data center readiness perspective.
Reference: High Availability and Disaster Recovery with the SAP HANA Platform on openSAP
Which measures needs to be understand?
SAP HANA platform supports the following measures. The links redirect you to the official SAP documentation site, where detailed information can be found from each solution.
|High Availability (HA) support features||Disaster Recovery (DR) support features|
|Host auto-failover||Service auto-restart||Storage replication|
|Storage replication||Host auto-failover||System replication|
|System replication||System replication||Backup & Recovery|
|Backup & Recovery|
- 1755396 – Released disaster tolerance solutions for SAP HANA with disk replication
Also Alper Somuncu already prepared nice articles about each solution. Listed in What blog posts can be helpful? section.
Which license is required for SAP HANA System Replication?
- 2685661 – Licensing Required for HANA System Replication
What is the general way to check the status of SAP HANA System Replication?
- 2518979 – HANA : how to check system replication status
- 2517805 – How-to check if SAP HANA System Replication is in Sync or not
What are the available tools for monitoring the SAP HANA System Replication?
The general way to do the monitoring is to use SQL commands.
- 1969700 – SQL Statement Collection for SAP HANA
The actual information can be reviewed with the following SQL Statements: “HANA_Replication_SystemReplication_”.
The action can be done in a graphical way also.
- SAP HANA System Replication – Monitoring System Replication
- SAP HANA Administration with SAP HANA Studio – Monitoring SAP HANA System Replication with the SAP HANA Studio
Which SAP HANA Alert IDs belongs to the topic?
- 1999880 – FAQ: SAP HANA System Replication 3. Which indications exist for problems with the SAP HANA system replication?
Which other documentations are important regarding SAP HANA HA and DR?
- 2942617 – How to know the where SAP HANA is replayed to?
- 2276567 – High Availability Troubleshooting Tree – Multi Node Failover
- 2063657 – SAP HANA System Replication Takeover Decision Guideline
- 2555775 – SAP HANA System Replication on different database version
- 2473002 – Using HANA System Replication to migrate scale out system
- 2407186 – How-To Guides & Whitepapers For SAP HANA High Availability
- 2500677 – How to switch operation mode in HANA system replication environment
- 2973685 – Different configuration of ‘statement_memory_limit’ on secondary system
- 2526877 – SAP HANA System Replication Parameter logshipping_max_retention_size
- 2817438 – How to check memory usage on secondary site in HANA system replication scenario
- 2763388 – Using different operating systems or operating system versions with HANA System Replication.
- 3235388 – What is the maximum distance between data centers/sites for SAP HANA System Replication?
- 2952826 – Perform table partitioning on HANA primary site requires additional steps on secondary site?
What information is necessary to get support?
- 2934640 – HANA and Replication – Collecting Support Data for Replication / Network related Tickets
The following list contains the most common issues belongs to the topic.
- 3272698 – Data volume reclaim in High Availability setup
- 2332284 – Data volume reclaim failed because of snapshot pages
- 2562939 – HANA Data Volume Used Size is Doubled or Much Larger than Before
- 2348397 – Shrink the Data Volume on Secondary Site with SAP HANA System Replication
- 2539644 – Reclaim datavolume effected by data backup and System Replication SAP HANA
- 3241617 – Missing logsegments unavailable on primary
- 2821539 – Volume /hana/log is full with log segments in status RetainedFree
- 2409471 – SAP HANA Log Volume Full on Secondary or Tertiary Site with System Replication
- 3000978 – Replication stops due to network issues
Backup and Recovery
- 2939499 – Cannot run recovery on system replication secondary system
- 2779139 – Replication status – Connection refused: primary needs initial data backup for system replication
- 2575326 – SAP HANA System Replication sr_enable returns error Backup not executed or in Studio gives “You need to perform a backup”
- 2534122 – System Replication takeover takes longer than expected SAP HANA
- 2963542 – Some specific tables data missing after takeover from primary site to secondary site
- 2278535 – Secondary Hana Database not starting after enabling Replication
- 2650994 – SAP HANA System Replication does not work with DB isolation set to HIGH
- 3201386 – HANA Replication status is different in transaction DBACOCKPIT and HANA Studio
- 2661340 – hdbnsutil -sr_register only system replication chains are allowed with an additional async secondary site
Disaster Recovery and High Availability for different SAP platforms
- 3081375 – Information about SAP BTP Disaster Recovery
- 2683480 – Disaster Recovery and High Availability for SAP Cloud Integration
Check the related SAP HANA Academy content and Blog Post created by Denys van Kempen.
- SAP HANA System Replication videos now available on the SAP HANA Academy
- SAP HANA Academy (YouTube) – SAP HANA System Replication
- SAP HANA Academy (YouTube) – SAP HANA Database Backup and Recovery
What blog posts can be helpful?
- SAP HANA High Availability and Disaster Recovery Series #1
- SAP HANA HA and DR Series #2: Redundancy and Fault Recovery Support
- SAP HANA® HA and DR Series #3 Host Auto-Failover
- SAP HANA HA and DR Series #4: Storage Replication
- SAP HANA HA and DR Series #5: System Replication
- SAP HANA HA and DR Series #6 System Replication Operation Modes & Parameters
- SAP HANA HA and DR Series #7: Log Replication Modes
- Revealing the differences between HANA Host Auto-Failover and System Replication
- How to Plan for Disaster Recovery with SAP HANA
- High availability and Disaster Recovery in SAP HANA Cloud
- Backup and Recovery for the SAP HANA Service (CF) – by the SAP HANA Academy
- Backup and Recovery for the SAP HANA (BTP)
Collected information about memory in context of SAP HANA
Collected information regarding partitioning in SAP HANA (with examples)
Collected information about reclaim / shrink / defragmentation topic in context of SAP HANA persistence (with example)
Other articles in connected series
Where can I find knowledge and information belongs to SAP HANA?
2872774 – Bookmark of Frequently Asked Questions for SAP HANA
Do you have further questions?
Q&A link for SAP HANA: https://answers.sap.com/tags/73554900100700000996
If you find any missing information belongs to the topic, please let me know. I am happy to add the new content. My intention is to maintain the content continuously to keep the info up-to-date.
|2023.04.14||First/initial Release of the SAP Blog Post documentation (Technical Article).|